Anyone requesting a variance within the City of Independence is required to complete an application and appear before the Board of Zoning Appeals. The Board meets on the third Thursday of each month with the Caucus beginning at 5:30 p.m. and the meeting immediately thereafter at the Independence City Hall, 6800 Brecksville Road, Independence, Ohio.
Variances are usually requested for a larger accessory building, locating a structure closer to a side or rear yard, and business signage.
The following is the procedure for submitting an application to the Board of Zoning Appeals:
2018 Schedule of Meetings
Calendar of all scheduled Board Meetings
- Submit a completed Board of Zoning Appeals application form - Be specific in explaining your hardship or practical difficulty and in describing your intent or purpose. Completed applications must be received by 12:00 pm fourteen (14) days prior to the meeting.
- Provide eight (8) sets of complete drawings with lot dimensions - Verify property line measurements, width and depth, and, if necessary, have your property surveyed. Indicate the address and Permanent Parcel number on your drawing and also indicate the location of any existing structure(s) and nearby streets.
- Stake the Parcel - Clearly designate the portion of the parcel affected by the requested variance or exception.
- Review your proposed intentions with adjacent property owners. This will help to address their concerns in advance and possibly avoid unnecessary delays.
- Personally appear before the Board of Zoning Appeals to explain your hardship or practical difficulty. Please feel free to bring along any professionals to assist you with the details; however, this may not be necessary.
- Representatives must present a letter of authorization from the property owner. Verification that a person is authorized to represent you is required.