Residential Guides & Tips

A Building Department permit is required any time there is an addition, alteration, repair or construction to your home or accessory structure. Permits are necessary for most home improvements or additions, so that the Building Department may inspect the job for safety, zoning compliance and sound construction practices. The City of Independence does require all contractors to be registered with the City prior to doing any work. 

The following is a sample list of the types of residential projects that would require a permit:
  • alterations

  • lawn sprinkler systems

  • additions

  • demolition

  • plumbing

  • air conditioning

  • driveways

  • electrical

  • water heaters

  • change of grade

  • roofs

  • curb cutting

  • foundations

  • windows

Residential Downloadable Permits

 TitleDescriptionModified Date
2018 Contractor Registration2018 Contractor Registration Packet12/1/2017
2017 Rental RegistrationResidential Rental Property Registration2/2/2017
Building Permit: Additions, Demolitions, etc.Additions, Demolitions, etc.3/17/2017
Plumbing Permit 2/2/2017
Electrical Permit 2/2/2017
HVAC Permit 2/2/2017
Shed & Garage ApplicationResidential Shed & Garage3/17/2017
Residential Deck Application 2/2/2017
Swimming Pool Application 3/17/2017
Miscellaneous PermitResidential Remodel/Alteration, Siding, Waterproofing, Roofing, Fences, Windows2/2/2017
Change Of Grade Adding or Reducing Grade2/2/2017
Driveway/Concrete PermitFlatwork: Driveway, Patio, Garage/Shed Base, Fire Pit2/2/2017
RITA FormBusiness Registration Form 482/2/2017
Worker's Compensation AffidavitNotarized form if no Worker's Compensation2/2/2017