March 2017 Council Report:
The Engineering Department reports the following activities for last month:
· A total of seven (7) permits were issued:
o Three (3) Right-of-Way permits to a variety of utility companies
o Three (3) Miscellaneous Permits were issued for residential concrete work
o One (1) Residential Plumbing Permit was issued.
· Three (3) topographic site plans were received from Pulte Homes for sublots on Hawthorn Trace in the newest phase of the Chestnut Woods Subdivision. These plans are under review.
- Five (5) bids were received on Friday, March 31st for the 2017 Asphalt Road Maintenance and Repairs Contract. The Streets & Sidewalks Committee is considering the bid information and may recommend a contract award to Chagrin Valley Paving at the May Council meeting.
- Work is progressing on schedule for the Rockside Woods Boulevard North – Sanitary Sewer Extension Project.
o 90% of the “open-cut” sewer is complete, and the pilot bore is also complete for the Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD) portion of the project. The HDD sewer should be pulled into place later this week or early next week.
- Tomorrow the concrete should be placed in the eastbound curb lane for the Rockside Road Widening Project. Traffic signalization work is also nearing completion, and the entire project could be complete sometime next month.
- We have worked on completing our Annual Storm Water Report that is due to the EPA this time every year.
- Ordinance 2017-54 on tonight’s agenda authorizes a new vehicle purchase to replace a 2005 Ford Explorer. This is a planned capital purchase which was budgeted this year for the Department.
- Ordinances 2017-55&56 would authorize construction inspection contracts with QCI & GPD Group.
- Lastly, and on a special note, Administrative Professional's Day is Wednesday, April 26th, and we have two of the best in the business. Janine Boehm has been the foundation of the Engineering Department since its creation in 2008. Also Coral Troxell has been part-time since fall of 2016.
o The Engineering Department operates at a very high level and we are responsible for many facets of work and contracts managed every year in the City. Our efficiency and success is a direct result of the quality of our two Administrative Professionals - so I want to make sure to recognize Janine and Coral this month, and to publicly thank them for the terrific work that they do for the Department and for the City.