The Legislative Branch of the City of Independence
Independence City Council consists of seven members, elected at large, for a term of two years beginning on the first day of January following their election. A Council Member may serve no more than five consecutive terms of office.
This legislative branch of the City of Independence is responsible for:
- The enactment of Ordinances and adoption of Resolutions
- The manner of posting all public notices of the enactment of legislation and City proceedings
- The advertisement, dissemination of bid specifications and the awarding of bids
- The recording of Council and Council Committee meetings and transcription of minutes
- The storage of legislation, minutes and other permanent records related to the Council Office and the City
- Providing Public Records, upon request
If you would like to search and review our City Codified Ordinances you can do so at our Codified Ordinance site
Council meets on the second Tuesday of every month at 7:00 pm in the Council Chambers at City Hall. Caucus is held in the Council Conference Room at City Hall prior to the Council Meeting.
Check the Regular Council Meeting Agenda on the website, or call the Council Office (216-524-1008) for the time of Caucus. Council Committees meet on an as-needed basis.