Rubbish, Recycling & Yard Waste Collection
- All rubbish, recycling, and yard waste should be curbside by 7:30 AM the day of pickup, but not sooner than 6 PM the evening before pickup. All trash, recycling, and yard waste placed at the curb prior to 6 PM the day before the scheduled pickup date is considered litter and subject to fine (Ordinance #1999-33).
HOLIDAY RUBBISH PICK-UP SCHEDULE
When your rubbish day falls on a holiday, your rubbish will be picked up the following day. All other days of the week remain the same.
Holidays the Service Department is CLOSED:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Rubbish & Recycling Collection Carts
- Each home is issued two 96 Gallon carts
- 1 for rubbish (black lid)
- 1 for recycling (blue lid)
- The serial numbers on the front of the rubbish and recycling cans are registered to your specific address
- Carts must be left at the residence when moving out of the home
- For new dwellings, please contact the Service Department for your carts to be delivered to your residence
- To purchase additional rubbish, recycling, and/or yard waste carts you can call the City of Independence Service Department at 216.524.9191
- Cans, Aluminum & Metal: Empty and rinse
- Cartons: Empty, rinse, and replace the cap
- Glass Bottle & Jars: Empty and rinse
- Paper & Boxes: Flatten
- Plastic Bottles & Jugs: Empty and rinse
- Small appliances (call for Special Pickup)
- Hazardous waste (paint, motor oil (call for Special Pickup)
- Hard plastics such as toys (put in your trash)
- Window glass (put in your trash)
Yard Waste Guidelines
- Residents can purchase a 96 gallon yard waste cart (green lid) from the City of Independence Service Department
- Yard waste is picked up on your rubbish day on the opposite side of your rubbish
- Place yard waste in brown bags or open containers
- Yard waste placed in plastic bags will not be picked up
- Yard waste will be picked up starting in April (weather permitting) until mid-December
- Small amounts of yard waste can be placed inside your rubbish cart January through March
- All branches less than one inch in diameter must be bundled and be no longer than four feet in length
Yard Waste includes:
- Grass clippings
- Other yard debris
Yard waste does NOT include: dirt, dog or animal waste, litter, rocks, sod, or pumpkins (throw pumpkins in your rubbish).
Dumpsters are available for residential rental from the Service Department from April (weather permitting) until the second week of October by calling 216.524.9191.
General and Construction Material - 5 yard: $ 50.00
General and Construction Material -10 yard: $100.00
Logs and Stumps - 5 yard: $150.00
Logs and Stumps - 10 yard: $300.00
Railroad Ties - 5 yard: $100.00
Railroad Ties - 10 yard: $200.00
Dumpster Rental Rules and Requirements
- Only one dumpster may be placed at your residence for rental. The City does not allow more than one City dumpster to be placed at your residence on the same day.
- Dumpster rental fees must be paid prior to drop off of a dumpster, with a signed waiver giving permission to enter the resident's property. Dumpsters must be placed on a hard surface and not on the grass or in the street.
- The dumpsters are used for snow plowing, which takes priority over dumpster rental.
- Dumpsters are dropped off on Friday and picked up on Monday.
- Dumpster rental is from April (weather permitting) to the second week in October each calendar year
- The following items cannot be put into a dumpster: tires, paints, chemicals, liquids and food rubbish.
- Dumpsters cannot be overloaded, all material should lay flat in the dumpster and not hang over the top.